Sunday, January 14, 2007

Work and school

Let me first say that I got to bed around 4am this morning and got up at 8am for church. So if I start to ramble or not make sense... well, I'm sure you'll understand.

Earlier this week I asked not to be scheduled after 11pm on Saturdays (for church in the morning) and Sundays (for school in the morning). Fridays are okay. During the week, I typically only work until 10pm. So we got our schedule for next week yesterday. I'm scheduled to close Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So I'll get off between 1:30am and 3:00am. I was actually kind of mad.

Maybe things are building up. I still have a bit of a cold (going on two weeks now), and I'm certain it's lasted so long because of the cigarette smoke I get to inhale in the bar. (In Oregon you can smoke in bars.) And of course I smell like an ashtray at the end of the day. Also, I have to be honest, I'm getting tired of hearing customers tell me they have a pool going on my bra size. And they say much, much worse. I have also had guys act like they were going to grab me. One guy actually pushed up really close to me so that he was up against my back (I wasn't facing him and didn't realize he was coming up behind me). I gave him some attitude and let him know that it wasn't okay, but what would possible give him the idea that that was alright in the first place?!?

I'm actually pretty shocked at the behavior of some of these guys. Married, single, young, old; it doesn't matter. They are rude and disgusting. The guys in the Navy treated me with MUCH more respect than the customers at the bowling alley.

It's disappointing. I wanted to like this job. I wanted to have a fun time at work for once. But I didn't know people would be how they are. It's sad to me. I never thought I was a super-sensitive-girly-girl who got her feelings hurt easily. And this doesn't hurt my feelings, it makes me sad and angry.

Anyway, with the scheduling thing going on, I talked to the supervisor and asked her why I was scheduled that late. She said the manager must have forgotten. Even though I gave her the request only a couple of days prior to her making the schedule. I have been tempted to just leave and not go back, no excuse, no call, nothing. It's not in my nature however. I like to be a good worker, I take pride in my work, even if it's being a waitress.

The supervisor said she would talk to the manager about the schedule, so it might get fixed which would make me a little happier.

What would you do? Have you been treated like this at a job? What do you think? Feel free to comment.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go look at the classified ads...

No comments: