Saturday, December 23, 2006

Baking

I've been baking. I really don't know why. I'm not a cook of any sort. But the other day, I really wanted to make cookies. I haven't made cookies for probably 10 years or so - no joke. I'm really not a cookie/cake person. But I made chocolate chip cookies with walnuts in them, and it was great! In fact, I ate too many... grrr. But I also gave a lot away, so that's good.

My landlord brings a bag of fruit and a huge summer sausage every Christmas, and this year the fruit was Red Delicious apples. Now, I really don't think they are that delicious. I think the skins are very bitter. But Rayleen had a great idea: She told me I should make something from them! And I confirmed that I did indeed have flour and stuff from when I made cookies, so it was possible! Then I got my diabetic cookbook (a lot of great recipes that are low in sugar and fat) and found a recipe for Apple Crisp! I LOVE Apple Crisp!!! There was a tablespoon of regular sugar and three tablespoons of brown sugar in it, and only about 1/4 cup of flour. The recipe called for low-fat margarine, but I don't have that. I used regular. But if you follow what's supposed to go in, there's only 144 calories and 2 grams of fat! That's not too shabby!







Okay, it finally cooled off enough so that it wouldn't take the first layer of my tongue off... and it's pretty good! I made something new! And it's good! Yay!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks pretty good :)