Friday, March 16, 2007

A Trip to the Coast

I went to the coast last month... I guess it's time to post about it. It was nice and sunny here - I thought it would make for a nice drive. Something nagged in the back of my head though, and sure enough, it was overcast at the beach.



I really had to pee, so I stopped at the dock because I saw a bathroom. Little did I know, you had to have a boat there and they would give you the combination to use the restroom. No pee for me.



Cloudy and misty as it was, it was still a nice to take pictures.



There were a couple of the locals hanging out in the water. They thought it was a beautiful day, and voiced their opinion several times, drawing onlookers.



I decided to go to Ripley's Believe It Or Not. (I finally got to go pee there.) As it turns out, it hasn't changed since... oh, I'd say probably the 60's. They still think part of California is going to break off the North American plate and form it's own island. I showed this to my geology and he got pretty riled up. It was fun since he's a very gentle guy.



There are some really cool houses here. For some reason, they remind me of Popeye houses (from the movie, not the cartoon). This is a hotel:



Here's the other side of it... I think I would like to stay here, just to see what it's like.



Another Popeye house. They're just cool!



And I just like this house. I think the downstairs is cool. I want to live in a house like that. You might have to click on it and enlarge it to see what I'm talking about.



I did make it to the beach. It was cold though.



This one is hard to see, but there were some really annoying people at the beach. This guy had two (or three? I can't remember now...) little girls who ruled him. He kept telling them that it was time to go, but they totally ignored him. It was just annoying to hear him plead with them, since they were under the age of five. Then when he (finally) enforced his decision, their shrieks rivaled the screams of seagulls. It continued at the parking lot. People stopped everywhere and stared, so I know it wasn't just me.



I went to a restaurant nearby for a nice lunch. I was upstairs and continually irritated by the guy doing repairs just outside the door. Why would the restaurant have repairs done on a weekend? How about in the late morning on a week day? I tried to get a picture of him, but there was a couple blocking my way. Very unfortunate. You miss out on his cigarette hanging out of his mouth while he exposes his stomach to hang some gutters or something. Darn.
This was my view though, if I looked to my right.



I ordered "Neptune's Bucket" and gasped when I saw it:



Luckily, it was on a raised thing inside, so it just looked like it was full. It makes sense, but it was still a shock to have that plopped in front of me. It consisted of clams (which always disappoint me - I know what size they're supposed to be, not these little macaroni sized things), scallops, halibut, shrimp, a couple of small oysters, fries and coleslaw. It was filling, needless to say.

Thus filled, I came home.

No comments: